Kayak Lessons - ACA Certified
We offer American Canoe Association (ACA) certified instruction for both kayak and canoe lessons and instructor certification. Our experienced instructors will give you hands on training in most aspects of paddlesports benefitting beginners through masters.
Call us at (281) 292-5600 or use the form below to schedule a lesson.
QuickStart is a brief, three-hour introduction to paddling a kayak.
Students are presented with basic information on dressing to paddle safely, potential hazards and simple rescues. A minimal paddle skill set is presented and practiced, allowing students to safely and comfortably maneuver on still water.
While designed as a stand-alone, introductory course, QuickStart students often progress to the Introduction to Kayak course to acquire greater paddling skill through significantly more guided, on-water practice time.
Introduction to Kayaking is a six-hour course focusing on skills needed for any type of kayak including but not limited to sit on tops, recreational, folding and inflatable.
Presentations include dressing to paddle safely and potential paddling hazards. Simple rescues are demonstrated by the instructor combined with the paddling skills practiced by students to maneuver safely and comfortably on still water.
Designed as a stand-alone course, students desiring more intensive skills would proceed to Level 2 or 3 courses to continue the learning and refinement process, as one progresses forward, the track to follows depends on interest and kayak type.
Call us at (281) 292-5600 or use the form below to ask questions and schedule a lesson. See the calendar for upcoming lessons.
Intermediate & Advanced Kayaking Courses
Experienced paddlers and graduates of the Introduction to Kayaking course may take more advance kayaking lessons including:
- Coastal Kayaking - covering topics including...
- Essentials of Kayak Touring
- Basic Strokes & Rescue
- Traditional Skills
- Kayak Rolling
- Coastal Kayak Strokes & Maneuvers
- Open Water Skills
- Surf Zone Kayaking
- River Kayaking - covering topics including...
- Essentials of River Kayaking
- Whitewater Kayaking
- Advanced Whitewater Kayaking
- Kayak Rolling
- Surf Kayaking - covering topics including...
- Sit-on-Top Surf Kayaking
- Essentials of Surf Kayaking
Introduction to Canoeing
Introduction to Canoeing is a six-hour course focusing on the basic canoe skills for the solo and/or tandem canoeist.
Students are presented with basic information on boat control, paddling apparel, potential hazards and simple rescues. An entry level of paddling skills is presented and practiced, allowing students to safely and effectively maneuver on flat-water.
If a paddler decides to move above the Introductory level, the successive courses are divided into two categories: Touring Canoe & River Canoe.
We offer ACA Instructor Certification. To become an ACA instructor, candidates must:
- Participate in an Instructor Development Workshop (IDW) and pass an Instructor Certification Exam (ICE). These courses are offered either as separate courses with time between for skills and presentation development and practice, or can be offered concurrently (at the discretion of the Instructor Trainer) as an Instructor Certification Workshop (ICW).
- Perform paddling skills with certification quality.
- Demonstrate effective teaching skills.
- Demonstrate technical knowledge of paddlesport.
- Demonstrate appropriate safety & rescue ability.
- Demonstrate group/course management and interpersonal skills.
Safe, Professional, Fun
Your kayaking and canoeing lessons are provided in a safe, professional, and fun environment.
Call us at (281) 292-5600 or use the form above to schedule a lesson.